What to look for from a Letting Agent……
Property Management can encompass a wide range of services from ensuring that the property complies with legislation, to finding tenants and signing lease documentation, to the day to day management of the property.
It is important that you give thought to the services you require from a managing agent before you decide which one is best for you.
When making the decision to choose your Property Manager you should consider:
- How you will get on with the personalities you will be dealing with and whether you will be dealing with the same person who will know your property and any specific instructions you have given.
- How knowledgeable the Property Manager appears to be.
- Where the property is going to be advertised and the average time your chosen Property Management Agent takes to let a property in your area.
- How well properties are presented in the Management Agent’s advertising.
- Whether the atmosphere created by the team looking after your property is likely to give a positive experience to your tenants ensuring not only average longer lets but less maintenance.
- How well the tenants are vetted by the Property Management Agency.
- How the Property Management Agent deals with rent arrears and how quickly these will be followed up.
- Whether the Managing Agent has an allocated client account to receive funds that will ensure your money is always secure even if the agency is in difficulties.
- Whether the Agent is a registered Agent
- Whether the Agent has client money protection
- How extensive the inventory is and whether it is robust enough to be relied upon to recover any damages from the tenancy deposit scheme.
- How often the property is going to be inspected by the Property Manager and what maintenance is likely to be instructed as a result. For example someone should be regularly checking shower and bath sealant and instructing this to be fixed where appropriate.
- The charges and whether they are reflective of the services on offer and the service you would like from your Property Management Agency.
- A good letting agent should provide a flexible service determined by your requirements and Watt Property are happy to provide a bespoke service if required.